I spent last Christmas in a tiny apartment in Baltimore, Md. We wrapped lights around a bike in place of a tree, hung ornaments on the TV stand and made this hot chocolate for the very first time. I remember sitting on our hand-me-down couch with a couple old friends, and my husband leaning over to say, “What kind of magic did you just create?” This is a recipe that you make once and then never look back. Your days of store-bought hot chocolate mixes are over, I promise. Dig the ingredients you need out of the cupboard, call your friends, and if anyone asks, swear that this hot chocolate is much more complicated to make than it really is.
- 1 ½ cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 6 cups milk
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups chocolate chips (I like milk chocolate, semi-sweet works too)
In the crock pot, stir together the heavy whipping cream, milk, vanilla and chocolate chips. Cover and cook on low for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. You want to make sure the chocolate doesn’t burn or stick to the sides of your crock pot. The hot chocolate is finished when the chocolate chips are completely melted and everything is heated through. Use a ladle to pour the hot chocolate into mugs and top with whipping cream and marshmallows, because come on, it’s Christmas.
Recipe makes about 8 servings. Enjoy!
Using this recipe? Tweet us your results @litdarling!
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)