Imagine being in London on a bright, beautiful day (they do happen, I promise!). Tourists walk around you snapping pictures; Londoners rush around you to reach their destinations; and you are just walking—taking in the sights, the accents from all over the world, and the overwhelming sensations of a city that feels like the whole world came to one place.
Now imagine having the perfect soundtrack to your meanderings, and what’s more, having it sung to you live.
Sounds pretty sweet, doesn’t it? That’s precisely what happened to me, and how I came to know (and love) Charlotte Campbell. She was singing a cover of “Waterloo Sunset,” and never a song had been more appropriate for a sunny afternoon on the London Southbank, a popular spot with street-performers. She followed that song with one of her own, “On The Southbank,” and I was hooked. My plans for the rest of the day could wait—I had to stop and listen, for the words she was singing were exactly what I was thinking and feeling at the time.
A singer/songwriter, busker, and altogether exceptionally talented artist, her lyrics are relatable and beautifully worded; the kind of songs that say what we all felt at one point or another—only they do it better than we ever could. If that weren’t enough, she has the most angelic voice you’ll ever hear, and she accompanies it with a perfectly complementary guitar. Her songs and vocals remind me of Ingrid Michaelson, and live in that perfect intersection between indie and pop.
Charlotte Campbell keeps a blog about her busking adventures and a website where you can stay up-to-date on her gigs if you’re on the right side of the Pond (or support her from afar). But we’ll let her music speak for her.
- On The Southbank (Blue Eyed Soul, 2013)
- Streets Of London (Making Waves, 2015)
- Share Your Love (Making Waves, 2015)
- Matala (Making Waves, 2015)
- Tell Me I’m Right (Making Waves, 2015)
- The Chase (Blue Eyed Soul, 2013)
- If She’s An Angel (Making Waves, 2015)
- Stranger These Days (Stay, 2012)
- Six Days (Blue Eyed Soul, 2013)
- Princess Hair (Making Waves, 2015)
- Safe Harbor (Nashville Sessions EP, 2016)
- Better Than Today (Stay, 2012)
- Songbird (Making Waves, 2015)
- Jump (Blue Eyed Soul, 2013)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)