Remember that red wine hot chocolate recipe floating around a few weeks ago that looked too good to be true? Well, I tried it, and quite frankly, I was disappointed. The hot chocolate was bitter and smothered the fruity notes of the wine. Bitter hot chocolate spiked with tannins and acidity? Not nice. But the world needs a red wine hot chocolate that’s as good as it sounds, so I took it upon myself to create one. I came up with a spiced rum version as well, because… Adulting is hard. Enjoy!
- ¾ cup milk of choice
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons raw honey
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 shot spiced rum
Heat milk and coconut oil on low, stirring until combined. Add in cocoa powder and honey, stirring continuously. Add either ½ cup red wine, OR 1 shot of spiced rum. Stir gently.
Notes: Fix the hot chocolate to your preferences before adding alcohol. (Believe it or not, it doesn’t solve everything.) If opting for the red wine version, try to choose a wine with deep fruit notes that is low in tannins and acidity. For extra decadence, try the rum version topped with whipped cream. This serving will make enough for one mug, but is very rich; it’s for sipping, not for chugging!
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)