Fragrance oils can elevate your mood, transform your space, and provide a delightful scent for your body or home.
While you can buy fragrance oils, making your own can be a cost-effective and rewarding hobby. With the right ingredients and some creativity, you can create a signature scent that is uniquely yours.
In this step-by-step guide, we will teach you how to make fragrance oil from scratch, ensuring that your final product is one-of-a-kind.
Materials You Will Need
1. Carrier Oil: Choose a mild, unscented oil to serve as the base for your fragrance oil. Popular options include jojoba oil, sweet almond oil, or fractionated coconut oil.
These oils have minimal scents and will not overpower your chosen essential oils.
2. Essential Oils: These concentrated, aromatic oils provide the scent for your fragrance oil.
Experiment with a variety of essential oils to create your unique blend. Some popular options include lavender, eucalyptus, rose, jasmine, and sandalwood.
3. Glass Dropper Bottles: Store your fragrance oil in glass bottles with dropper tops to ensure easy application and a longer shelf life.
4. Measuring Spoons and Pipettes: Accurately measure and mix your oils with these tools.
5. Labels: Create labels to keep track of your fragrance oil blends and their ingredients.
6. A Notebook: Keep detailed notes of your recipes, so you can recreate your favorites or make adjustments for future blends.
Step-By-Step Guide to Making Fragrance Oil
Step 1: Choose Your Carrier Oil
Select a carrier oil that suits your needs and preferences.
Jojoba oil is an excellent choice for use on the skin due to its moisturising properties. Sweet almond oil is also suitable for skincare and has a slightly nutty aroma.
Fractionated coconut oil is lightweight and odourless, making it a versatile option for various applications.
Step 2: Select Your Essential Oils
Choose the essential oils you want to use in your fragrance oil blend. Consider the scent profile you want to create, such as floral, citrus, or earthy.
You can also research the therapeutic properties of different essential oils to create a blend that has specific benefits, like relaxation or energy-boosting.
Start by selecting three to five essential oils that complement each other.
Step 3: Create Your Blend
Once you’ve chosen your essential oils, it’s time to experiment with different combinations to find the perfect balance.
Keep in mind that some essential oils are stronger than others, so you may need to adjust the ratios to create a balanced scent.
Use your notebook to record your recipes, making note of the number of drops of each essential oil you add to your blend.
Step 4: Dilute Your Essential Oil Blend with Carrier Oil
To create your final fragrance oil, you will need to dilute your essential oil blend with your chosen carrier oil.
The standard dilution for fragrance oils is 3% to 5%, which means that for every 100 drops of carrier oil, you will add 3 to 5 drops of your essential oil blend.
Use a pipette to measure your carrier oil, and then add the appropriate number of drops of your essential oil blend.
Step 5: Store and Label Your Fragrance Oil
Transfer your completed fragrance oil to a glass dropper bottle using a funnel or pipette. Make sure to label your bottle with the name of your blend, the ingredients, and the date created.
This will help you keep track of your creations and make it easy to recreate your favorites in the future.
Step 6: Test and Enjoy Your Fragrance Oil!
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)