When I think of the holidays, especially Christmas, I always think of my Dad. He has a child-like adoration for the season that I got annoyed with when I was younger, but fully appreciate now. He would always lead the charge at Santa’s Evergreens the day after Thanksgiving, picking out the perfect Fraser Fir or Spruce. We would spend all day decorating the tree until it drooped over with ornate bulbs and old “grunts,” quirky homemade ornaments from my parent’s childhood. We sipped eggnog, congregated around the fire, and kept that gaudy tree up well into January. Through all of that, we were always accompanied by the sweet crooning from the likes of Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, and my Dad’s personal favorite, Nat King Cole.
Now that I’m an adult and don’t get to do any of that with my parents anymore, I rely on my favorite songs to transport me back to that magical time. My heart swells when I hear Judy Garland’s rendition of “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” and a smile creeps to my face when Frank Sinatra sings “Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow”. Nothing is quite as special, though, as when I hear “The Christmas Song” by Nat King Cole and think of how much my father loves that song, and his unparalleled Christmas spirit.
This mix is sure to bring memories of a sweeter, more carefree time. There’s nothing like enjoying the holidays with some nostalgic tunes to keep you cozy and warm. Here are a few of my old school favorites to keep you festive and happy during this bustling and busy time!
Tweet us @litdarling or comment below with your favorite old school holiday jams!
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)