Today one of the greatest artists in music has died at age 69 from cancer: Ziggy Stardust himself, David Bowie.
While many millennials likely knew him first as the Goblin King in Labryinth, everyone can attest that it is his music and gender-bending, identity-fluid persona that will have the longest influence on the generations to come. David Bowie was the original cool guy, the one who said music doesn’t have to be rote, and the king of the sick beat. He made progressive cool and worked with not only Queen, Lou Reed, the Kinks, and even Nine Inch Nails, but pretty much inspired everyone else thereafter.
But in traditional Bowie style, he goes out with a flash only the mighty man could, with a new album out, Blackstar that was released January 8th, and a lifetime of some of the best damn music you’ll ever hear. So do yourself a favor and dive into Spotify’s “This is David Bowie” playlist and let’s dance one more time to Major Tom.
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)